The Global CO2 Initiative created the below Excel template to help guide new practitioners in performing life cycle assessments (LCAs) in alignment with the Initiative’s guidelines. This template focuses primarily on LCA for early-stage technologies with Technology Readiness Levels of 1 through 6, leading to more of an emphasis on identifying environmental impact hotspots rather than generating extremely precise impact assessments. It may require significant adaptation for any particular project, but the resources throughout this site can help with that process.
Here is a video explaining how to use the template.
Another LCA template for carbon capture, utilization, and storage technologies—created by researchers at the University of Toronto, the University of Alberta, and the University of Calgary—is also available on GitHub. This model is more complex and may be suited for studies of applications with higher technology readiness levels. However, it primarily focuses on greenhouse gas emissions, whereas the model on this site can be quickly adapted to assess other environmental impacts as well.
The CRANE tool was built by the Prime Coalition with various partners to support emissions reduction potential modeling for early-stage technologies. CRANE also focuses primarily on greenhouse gas emissions rather than other environmental impacts, and it may require the user to already have some information or assumptions about the emissions performance of the technology under consideration. There is also a report describing the methodology used by CRANE.
Below are some videos that discuss various features of life cycle assessments. Information or methodologies contained within may provide useful guidance to those looking to conduct LCAs.
- U.S. NETL LCA Training Videos with corresponding toolkit
- TEA and LCA Guidelines Launch Webinar
- MIT OpenCourseWare Lecture on Life Cycle Analysis
- GREET Tutorial Videos
- openLCA Tutorial: Part 1 and Part 2 (written tutorial here)
- SimaPro Tutorial: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, and Part 4 (written tutorial here)
- GaBi Tutorial: Playlist 1 and Playlist 2 (written tutorial here)
- Gathering Data and Performing Assessments Using openLCA
- Quick LCA Process Description from thinkstep
- Brief Overview of LCA Process